Thursday, November 15, 2012


This last year i’ve getting really into the matter of parametric design, mechanisms and stuff, and I (almost) convinced that engineering/ process will define all the productive areas in the next years, but not only in administration and economic fields, but entertaining, architecture, music and arts in general too… we are walking (not walking, flying!) to the inflexion point between reality as we know and a completely dependent cyber reality (yeah, I’m being too exaggerated…maybe).

The art examples I’ve chose are an example of how engineering and mathematical investigation can become art with the help of human sensitiveness, and a bit of geniality.

The Hoberman sphere is, in my opinion, a beautiful game of mechanisms, marketing and art, giving  shape to a fascinating effect of life in a bunch of scissors.
 

I get to know this through an investigation about the scissor-henge system for a teacher this year (I have to expose Friday), the same system Chuck Hoberman use to create that animated sculptures, the fascinating, from my perspective, is that isn’t really complex when you get to know it a little deeper, and the perceptual game is absolutely amazing.
 
 

The second one I chose is in the same way, a simple use of materials and physics to give life (yeah I like animated objects) to a couple of bars. These things are called tensegrity structures, and I know them for the same investigation subject. I can’t find the video to show you the expo of an specific artist who use this method to create living sculptures, so I left just an example of tensegrity and how it looks, I hope you’ll feel the same as I, with simple materials, physics and imagination you can create non-conventional art, but not less impressive than traditional.

No comments:

Post a Comment